" />

Author Topic: EZ-Drummer with Sonar  (Read 2275 times)

Offline sgulley

• Stan Gulley Soundclick page
EZ-Drummer with Sonar
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »
I just ordered EZ-Drummer and am just starting to learn Sonar. I still do my track recordings on the 2488. I was wondering if I could use Sonar to line up new EZ-Drummer MIDIs along with current audio tracks (replace the 2488 drum track). I know there's an "Extract timing" function that can be used on audio data to capture timelines but I don't know if I could sync the MIDI track up to the audio. Just curious if anyone has tried to replace drum tracks with older audio recordings before?

Thanks,
Stan
"There is nothing more important than knowing where you are going when you die."

Offline Stephen

• Growing old is mandatory, growing up...is optional
Re: EZ-Drummer with Sonar
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »
Piece of cake!  ;)
Everything syncs up perfectly.
Have fun!
 O0

Offline sgulley

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
My EZDrummer plugin hasn't arrived yet but after reading some of the postings I wonder if anyone knows of a good sequence to follow for replacing drum tracks previously recorded on the 2488 and then exported and imported into Sonar.

Maybe extract timing of the drum's audio track and somehow map it to a newly constructed EZD MIDI and then export it back over to the 2488. I don't know enough yet to understand a good process, or how hard it would be to align back with the original tracks on the 2488.

Another question would be, can you take existing cheesy MIDI drums generated from BIAB and run it through the EZDrummer plugin to get a good result. This would be the fastest way for me to produce drums from scratch.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Stan
"There is nothing more important than knowing where you are going when you die."

Offline Stephen

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:28:20 PM »
I've had success playing cheesy MIDI drum files through EZ drummer.
It's a matter of loading the MIDI file into your DAW, and and directing that tracks output to EZD.
Sometimes the Mapping is not right, and I have no idea how to deal with that.
 O0

Offline sgulley

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 05:36:12 PM »
Cool,  O0   something else I can experiment with. ::) as long as I don't blow the house up.
I can't wait! Wish it was like Har-Bal where you could DL it off the net, but I guess too many support files for that.

Thanks Stephen.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 05:43:10 PM by sgulley »

Offline sgulley

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
Well I can't expect too much in just a couple of hrs. of learning but this EZDrummer stuff with Sonar 4 in not a piece of cake or a cakewalk; for me anyway. It allows you to drop these short 2-4 beat blocks inside a MIDI track but when you do Sonar won't totally connect them (see pic attachment), leaving big gaps where the drums stop and start again; so I can't get any kind of groove going. I guess a drum track would sound good if I could learn how to piece one together. Unforuately I've followed the operations of the product and they are fairly easy & the manual is only 11 pages. Timing issues and everything else are left up to your knowlege of your DAW with MIDI operations. I can't change tempos or much of anything else right now. So I'm stuck.

Bringing back the question, how can you use an existing MIDI drum track such as one created from BIAB & import it into Sonar using ezdrummer routing to produce something better. So is it even possible... I drag the MIDI into the ezdrummer MIDI track and it slides in, but none of the instruments map properly to the sounds.

This piecing stuff with literally 8,000 MIDI snippets could take you forever to produce a drum track & who has time to click all day long on thousands of sounds. Not me.

Any help would be appreciated,
Stan
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 12:53:29 PM by sgulley »

Offline Stephen

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »
What I do here, is right click the clip, choose Properties, Audio Stretching, and then just choose the Loop option.
You don't have to loop it, but now it not only fits, but if you want to use an extended version of one of the clips, which is more than likely, you just grab the right edge, and drag it as far as you like, and it's continuous.
I never did find this mentioned in the manual.
HTH
 O0

Offline Marylea

• Spring blooms
    • MyHomePage
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:16:52 PM »
Well I can't expect too much in just a couple of hrs. of learning but this EZDrummer stuff with Sonar 4 in not a piece of cake or a cakewalk; for me anyway. It allows you to drop these short 2-4 beat blocks inside a MIDI track but when you do Sonar won't totally connect them (see pic attachment), leaving big gaps where the drums stop and start again; so I can't get any kind of groove going. I guess a drum track would sound good if I could learn how to piece one together. Unforuately I've followed the operations of the product and they are fairly easy & the manual is only 11 pages. Timing issues and everything else are left up to your knowlege of your DAW with MIDI operations. I can't change tempos or much of anything else right now. So I'm stuck.

Bringing back the question, how can you use an existing MIDI drum track such as one created from BIAB & import it into Sonar using ezdrummer routing to produce something better. So is it even possible... I drag the MIDI into the ezdrummer MIDI track and it slides in, but none of the instruments map properly to the sounds.

This piecing stuff with literally 8,000 MIDI snippets could take you forever to produce a drum track & who has time to click all day long on thousands of sounds. Not me.

Any help would be appreciated,
Stan

Stan, i'm not where you are yet, but those little blocks look to me like groove loops/clips, that you could stretch out.  Have you tried that?  Just take the end of one, left click on the mouse and drag it???    
ML

Offline Marylea

• Spring blooms
    • MyHomePage
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »
Ha!  Stephen and i at the same time - with a similar answer!  I feel GOOOOOOD!!!!  I don't think it's mentioned in this application per se, but if you understand the tutorial on groove clips and loops, this is just another application. 
ML

Offline sgulley

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »
Splish-Splash (moving & a groovin') again!
Thanks you guys!

Offline sgulley

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »
The contiguous groove problem is fixed but the timing problem is there (totally messed up)
I dragged in the "EZ Drum Straight-120 BPM" DEMO groove into the MIDI track. (it sounded great with the EZDrummer play arrow)
Here is what I hear when I drag the clip in.
Anyone know what is happening? Tempo, timing, sounds like a total mess.

Listen to the audio clip.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:13:14 PM by sgulley »

Offline Stephen

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »
Read my previous post!
 >:(
Srong witchew?

Offline sgulley

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »
Stephen,
I read your previous post & it doesn't really apply much to Sonar 4... no properties selection but there is a "clip properties" with an enable loop checkbox, so I can now extend a clip out and repeat it contiguously (but the clip is just junk so it sounds like Junk X 10). There is nothing called "Audio Stretch." If you try to grab a corner and stretch it the clip just moves on top of the one in front of it.

Anyway my problem is no longer about the continuation of sound... it is that the plugin's clip sounds are nothing like the clips I drag into the MIDI track (sounds like Slow Drunk Drummer)... I recorded a MIDI in Sonar & it was included as an MP3 in my previous post. Great in the GUI but junk played as Sonar MIDI.
 ??? I took today off to learn the plugin but the air/heater unit went out which just added to a pretty blown day.

Offline sgulley

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 07:58:15 PM »
I never knew what was actually causing all of the slow-timing playback problems, but since I had 2 versions of Sonar on my machine I uninstalled both of them; and reinstalled back. After the reinstallation of Sonar EZDrummer's plugin started working properly.  :o :o ;D

I don't know if it has just been my peronsal luck on the last 2 installations, or if audio plugins are just getting that unforgiving. I'm always getting stuff like Javascript dialog errors because of my Norton virus settings that were interfering with net registration sequences. Ozone 3 was by far my worst experience, and EZDrummer is now a close 2nd.  What a waste of time!

Anyway, the pain is over and I'm now able to use it.

I really appreciate you guys help on this...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:01:12 PM by sgulley »

Offline Stephen

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »
the pain is over and I'm now able to use it.
I really appreciate you guys help on this...

Anytime dude!
I didn't realize you were using a different version than me, sorry for the mistakes referencing the menus.
 O0